Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Classical Speller and Dyslexia

Nik tweeted me to ask if The Classical Speller would work with a dyslexic student.

This is a new question for me, so I did a bit of reading on the subject, and here is my conclusion:

If you are considering using The Classical Speller with a dyslexic child, I encourage you to download the sample:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/252729

It provides the notes for the student and the first eight lessons.

Get the sample from the teacher edition, too:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/274050

Then, try it out, and let me know what you think, because I'm sure other parents and teachers of dyslexic children would be interested, one way or the other.

My feeling is that it may work well, since it emphasizes study, concentration, roots, and basic spelling rules, rather than the usual hodgepodge of games and activities. On a personal note, my son found the whirlwind of spelling "stations" distracting to the point of annoyance! Anyhoo...because The Classical Speller is basic, but structured, you may find it a good fit for teaching your child in the way he needs to learn successfully.

I recently was invited by Kindle Direct Publishing to enroll my books in the new Kindle MatchBook program, which I accepted. This means that when a reader purchases my book in print, he will be able to get the ebook for another $.99. They tell me this will launch in a few weeks, so there's an additional potential resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free 11/17-21: The Classical Reader

You read it right!  The Classical Reader Kindle version goes free for a very limited time. Finally, a short stories curriculum for thos...